Pentax M 200mm f/4.0 Test Shots

2008-04-21
Pentax M 200mm f/4.0I bought this lens a while ago and it is a shame that I have never gotten a single shot with this lens until last weekend. Few test shots were taken as JPG snapshots with my K10D in wide open aperture in f/4.0. Due to wind in a hiking trail, I used mostly ISO 400 to avoid motion blur. To my surprises, K10D is much noisier than my K100D in JPG.

Pentax M 200mm f/4.0 Test Shot

Pentax M 200mm f/4.0 Test Shot

Pentax M 200mm f/4.0 Test Shot

Pentax M 200mm f/4.0 Test ShotI love the lens so far but just I have too many overlapping lens with similar focal length that I don't get to use this prime as often. For one thing, I like the built-in lens hood and sharpness of the lens. There are various shots that I have problems with color not matching the original scenes. Orange looks more like yellow and brown looks more like grayish black. But my problems may be attributed to unfamiliar JPG settings in K10D and I currently don't have a work flow and tool with Raw file in K10D.

I am somewhat disappointed with JPG on K10D. Having been a loyal fan of Pentax K100D on JPG for over a year, I am stumbled to find poor quality of JPG on K10D. I am still hopeful that I will find the right settings and proper raw file workflow to correct all of my JPG problems in K10D.

Initial Impressions:
  • Very capable and sharp wide open. Most of my test shots are done in f/4.0
  • Focusing is precise and smooth
  • A great and effective built in lens hood
  • My copy is in pristine condition, cosmetics gives it a great looking lens
  • Color is a bit off in some of my test shots, may be due to wrong settings with JPG in K10D and my post processing with Picasa
  • Lens is well built in construction, I like the built in lens hood and focusing ring on this lens
  • A bit on the heavy side but still quite good for hiking with a need for longer reach

Related:

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

About

Welcome to Hin's Photo Corner, this is my learning blog on photography, blogging and advertising. And I hope you enjoy your visit. For contact, please comment in blog post or email me directly hintheman at gmail.com.

 

B&H Best Deals

Statcounter