Spiratone 20mm f/2.8 Test Shots

2008-04-02
Spiratone 20mm f/2.8 Test Shot
Spiratone 20mm f/2.8 Test Shot

Spiratone 20mm f/2.8 Test Shot
Spiratone 20mm f/2.8 Test Shot
Spiratone 20mm f/2.8 Test Shot
I have my usual preferences in going after the inexpensive alternative choices for lens. I don't know much about the brand for Spiratone except my need for a wider angle prime that matches the focal length of DA 21mm limited. And I want it to be fast with maximum aperture at f/2.8. When I spotted this in eBay, it was a no brainer to me to use it as my temporary choices for a 3 prime trio as my holdover to get DA 21mm limited. Initially I was not too happy about the lens as I find it bigger than expected and the filter size is 58mm. I have wonderful results with this prime using my Pentax Super Program. It makes a big difference in not having a crop factor as in the digital SLR bodies. And 20mm is wide angle for me in film and it allows me to see if I like the focal length in the digital.


Initial Impressions:

  • Though not as small as a Pentax pancake, the lens is pretty solid with metal body.
  • Wide angle at 20mm is very useful as compared to my Vivitar 24mm and 28mm. It works great for me especially on film body with Pentax Super Program
  • Initially, I get average to good pictures at wide open apertures. Later when I used it more in K10D in a Macau trip, I find the lens wide open in f/2.8 very good and dependable for indoor shots. And the wider view in 20mm versus 24mm offers me a better perspective for landscape.
  • Though it is not a close up lens, this wide angle prime serves me well in restaurant for a wider view and close up on food shot is quite good. It is not as good as my Pentax FA 50 f/1.4 for night shooting and food shots, but it has competed with my Vivitar 24mm f/2.8 in several outings at night. In my recent trip in Macua, I brought this prime instead of Vivitar 24mm f/2.8. And this prime serves my Macau trip the best
  • Focus throw is at 1/4 turn and ease of focusing is adequate but not the best due to short focus throw. It is quick to focusing but the lens does not offer the fine precision as in my other 24mm and 28mm prime. Hyper-focal techniques can be experimented on this lens but I have not gotten into the using the hyper-focal markings on the lens barrel yet.
  • Overall impression is positive and I get to like it more after repeated and traveling usage. The lens is found very dependable and wide open appertures are average to outstanding depending on the lighting conditions. I found most shots with this lens in my Macau trip to be outstanding.

Related:

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful pictures. Just proves that you don't need to spend a ton of money on equipment. There's nothing wrong with that lens, and your eye is excellent!

Post a Comment

 

About

Welcome to Hin's Photo Corner, this is my learning blog on photography, blogging and advertising. And I hope you enjoy your visit. For contact, please comment in blog post or email me directly hintheman at gmail.com.

 

B&H Best Deals

Statcounter