Kenko 2x Macro Teleplus MC7 Adapter

2008-07-03
Kenko 2x Macro Teleplus MC7
Kenko 2x Macro Teleplus MC7
I make some test shots with my Pentax FA 50mm f/1.4 and Pentax A 50mm f/2.8 1:2 Macro using the 2x Macro Teleplus adapter from Kenko. The results are not as dramatic as some posting I see from others on actual macro lens such as Tamron MF 90mm f/2.8, but the adapter works reasonably good in converting a normal fast prime to better closeup and 1:1 macro. And I find the Tele in 2x not as shabby as I originally thought.

My impressions with the Kenko 2x Macro Teleplus adapter with FA 50 f/1.4 is positive though I find vignetting and severe CA in wide open apertures when I used it with FA 50 f/1.4. But overall, the adapter brings my beloved 50mm prime up a notch for fun. All six images are shot with the adapter and FA 50 f/1.4 in iso 100/200/400 with aperture ranging from 7.1 to 11. It is very windy in harsh lighting around 3 when I took a coffee break with no coffee.

Picture with SMC FA 50 f/1.4 + 2x Macro Teleplus adapter

Picture with SMC FA 50 f/1.4 + 2x Macro Teleplus adapter

Picture with SMC FA 50 f/1.4 + 2x Macro Teleplus adapterI have not gone through many uses with the 2x tele, but the casual shots using adapter in 2x tele mode seems pleasant surprise in extending my 50mm to 100mm

Picture with SMC FA 50 f/1.4 + 2x Macro Teleplus adapter

Picture with SMC FA 50 f/1.4 + 2x Macro Teleplus adapter

Macro Usage:

  • Adapter has markings with white and green colors. On one end is the 1:1 magnification and the other end marks 0.45m and infinity.
  • I turn adapter to extend to the fullest going to the 1:1 magnification marking
  • I manually focus lens on infinity
  • Using trap focus, I aim at object in about half a feet and moving in and out from the focal point to obtain focus. A tripod and a rail system will help on the focusing part.

Tele 2x usage:

  • I turn the adapter to retract to the 0.45m/infinity marking
  • manual focus as usual

Initial impressions & notes:
  • Adapter looks very similar to Vivitar 2x Macro adapter with the full electrical contacts with wording for "P/K-A R-P/K". My adapter does not have marking for 'Kenko' but I assume it is made by Kenko as the 'Teleplus' wording seems to go with Keno teleconverter adapter
  • Wording on adapter: KAX 2x Macro Teleplus MC7
  • Serial number: 9001098
  • My adapter has all the electrical contacts for metering and trap focus. Once mounted with FA 50 f/1.4, I can use Av mode without problems.
  • Some CA is noted in wide open aperture
  • Vignetting is seen also in wide open aperture
  • Adapter adds fun factor to a normal good 50mm prime. It works well with my FA 50 f/1.4 bring it closer to a macro lens
  • The fun factor is interesting in using my 50mm as a 100mm though the f/stop loss
  • Recommended as adapter to get a decent 50mm to 1:1 macro. The 2x tele comes as an added charm but mainly the Macro 1:1 is the key for the adapter. It works in turning 50mm to a 1:1 macro and with a turn, the 50mm acts as a 100mm.
Related:

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

About

Welcome to Hin's Photo Corner, this is my learning blog on photography, blogging and advertising. And I hope you enjoy your visit. For contact, please comment in blog post or email me directly hintheman at gmail.com.

 

B&H Best Deals

Statcounter