Tamron 90mm f/2.8 1:1 Macro (non-Di) Test Shots

2008-11-14
I am in full circle looking for a good 1:1 macro lens. I have used Lester A Dine 105mm f/2.8 1:1 Dental Macro, Sigma 105mm f/2.8 1:1 Macro EX (non-DG) and now my latest is with Tamron 90mm f/2.8 1:1 Macro (non-Di). The lens has done great for me for Portraits. I have coffee with my sweetie who normally doesn't enjoy my hobby and I invited her for a photo shoot with a dress I bought her from Macau in last visit. I love her and I want her to love the results. Though I am not a portrait persons as I don't have any skills in flash, I am confident that she will love the series and that I will do better next time.


Test Photos:

#1

Tamron 90mm f/2.8 1:1 Macro non-Di Test Shots

Tamron 90mm f/2.8 1:1 Macro non-Di Test Shots

Tamron 90mm f/2.8 1:1 Macro non-Di Test Shots

Tamron 90mm f/2.8 1:1 Macro non-Di Test Shots

Tamron 90mm f/2.8 1:1 Macro non-Di Test Shots

Tamron 90mm f/2.8 1:1 Macro non-Di Test Shots

Tamron 90mm f/2.8 1:1 Macro non-Di Test Shots

Impressions & Notes:
  • Like many comments about this macro lens that can double up as a portrait lens. I am totally sold on the lens after the portrait shoot with my sweetie

  • Pictures are quite sharp. Test shots in f/2.8 comes out very satisfactory

  • Build of Tamron is not as good as Sigma 105mm f/2.8 1:1 Macro EX (non-DG) that I have used before. The front of the Tamron is protruding to great length while the Sigma is minimal in protrusion in the front as far as my memory recalls. I have sold my Sigma and I kind of missed the build quality on the Sigma. In terms of build quality, the Sigma wins it hands down from the lens holsster to the lens barrel and others. The focus limiter is better designed in the Tamron

  • PF is well controlled, but it is almost absent in the Sigma. I think Sigma will beat Tamron in terms of PF control

  • Minimum focusing distance is a bit better in the Sigma than the Tamron

  • In terms of portrait, the Tamron wins it hand down without a doubt but I will think the Sigma will do very well if a mid tele-lens is what you are after.

  • I will see my Tamron competing with my use for portraits with Pentax FA 77mm f/1.8 but the Pentax is way faster and it will be more suited for indoor shooting or situations that demand faster speed

  • Overall, I am very happy with the lens purchase. I first thought I would need to trim this lens and go for the DG version of Sigma. I have changed my mind after 1 day of testing the lens.

Related:

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

About

Welcome to Hin's Photo Corner, this is my learning blog on photography, blogging and advertising. And I hope you enjoy your visit. For contact, please comment in blog post or email me directly hintheman at gmail.com.

 

B&H Best Deals

Statcounter