Carl Zeiss Jena Biotar 58mm f/2.0 (M42) On Flowers

2009-03-13
With inputs from others, my copy Carl Zeiss Jena Biotar 58mm f/2.0 that I recently gett is similar to the Russian lens Helios 44-2. I manage to get some test shots on small flowers today. The lens is quite decent and I use a cosina 1:1 matched 49mm close up filter on the test shots as the lens don't get close to subjects -- minimum focusing distance is about 1.65 feet


f/5.6
Carl Zeiss Jena Biotar 58mm f/2.0 (M42) On Flowers

f/2.0 + 1Ev
Carl Zeiss Jena Biotar 58mm f/2.0 (M42) On Flowers


f/2.0 + 0.7 Ev
Carl Zeiss Jena Biotar 58mm f/2.0 (M42) On Flowers

f/2.0 cropped 0Ev
without diopter

Carl Zeiss Jena Biotar 58mm f/2.0 (M42) On Flowers


I am pretty happy with the bokeh and color. At f/2.8 and f/2.0, I seem to see darker picture in Av mode, hence I dial in +Ev


Impressions & Notes
  • Sharpness is very decent in wide open aperture
  • Filter size is 49mm
  • Minimum focusing distance is at 1.65 feet
  • My copy has a letter 1 overlapped with letter 'Q' denoting export version
  • 10 blades, very circular diaphragm opening in many f/stops
  • All chrome color, very well made
  • Aperture ring in front that has a hidden preset ring when pulled down towards camera
  • Continuous aperture setting with no click stop between half and full stops -- I like it
  • At wide open aperture, a bit darker in the metering in Av mode
  • Bokeh is outstanding, no degradation on bokeh is noticed when used with diopter

Related:

3 comments:

piticu said...

looks very sharp, even wide opened

Hin Man said...

Thank you for the visit and comment. I am going to use the lens on portraits next.

Anonymous said...

Nice shots. Great tool to start photo editing masterpiece with Adobe Photoshop or Corel Draw.

Post a Comment

 

About

Welcome to Hin's Photo Corner, this is my learning blog on photography, blogging and advertising. And I hope you enjoy your visit. For contact, please comment in blog post or email me directly hintheman at gmail.com.

 

B&H Best Deals

Statcounter