Pentax F-1.7x AF TC (magical MF->AF TC)

2008-10-21
Pentax F-1.7x AF TC

Pentax F-1.7x AF TCI heard so much from others on the ability of this Pentax F-1.7x AF TC that can turn a manual focus lens into a auto focus lens. It is partly true when I test it. The manual focus has the ability to partial focus when the focusing target is close to the focal point. When the current focal point is farther away from the target, I only see blinking from the focus lock confirmation that requires intervention on my part to turn focusing ring to close to target to get the AF in the TC to engage.

Test shots with vivitar 200mm f/3.5 form Komine and Pentax F-1.7x AF TC

Test shots with vivitar 200mm f/3.5 form Komine and Pentax F-1.7x AF TC

Impressions & Notes:
  • This is a magical TC to get if price is reasonable. It cost twice more than Tamron 1.4x Pz-AF TC but for the ability for it to turn a manual focus lens to have the ability to AF at close target, it is something I am willing to pay money for
  • When used with my Komine 200mm f/3.5 manual focus lens, I can use the combination to photo hummingbirds in flight. The AF part comes as a great tool when it comes to birds.
  • There are times I find the partial focusing doubtful and I need to train myself to refrain from hitting the shutter fast but rather check to confirm is focus is nailed.
  • PF and CA seems to be a concern as I see more CA in using Tamron 1.4x Pz-AF.

Related:

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the write-up.

How's the image quality?

Hin Man said...

IQ is quite good and I use this TC most often with lens to reach over 300mm.

Post a Comment

 

About

Welcome to Hin's Photo Corner, this is my learning blog on photography, blogging and advertising. And I hope you enjoy your visit. For contact, please comment in blog post or email me directly hintheman at gmail.com.

 

B&H Best Deals

Statcounter