Sigma 105mm f/2.8 EX DG 1:1 Macro

2009-01-13
Sigma 105mm f/2.8 DG 1:1 Macro

Sigma 105mm f/2.8 DG 1:1 Macro
I am back to the full circle in getting yet another Macro lens. This time is a repeat for the Sigma 105mm f/2.8 1:1 DG Macro. I have the non-DG macro before and I am attracted to its build and color and when I see a used copy with the DG one, I fall for the purchase again.

And since I love my Tamron 90mm f/2.8 1:1 non-Di so much in both macro and portrait in 90mm, I would have a hard time later on in justifying the duplicate purchase. But I have to say the Sigma 105mm is as good as you can get for a Macro that is about $300 dollars. I am a bit disappointed with the change in the storage case. The previous non-DG storage case is way better than the nylon pouch.

I have not fully tested the lens but so far test images have been positive and MF is very easy with this lens. I can hardly pick one over the other in terms of MF. AF is a bit faster in the Tamron. Both have focal limiters and it make tele lens purpose easier. But the turning nob in Tamron is preferred over the Sigma

Test Shots


Sigma 105mm f/2.8 DG 1:1 Macro

Sigma 105mm f/2.8 DG 1:1 Macro

Sigma 105mm f/2.8 DG 1:1 Macro

Sigma 105mm f/2.8 DG 1:1 Macro

Sigma 105mm f/2.8 DG 1:1 Macro
Related:



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hin, I completely agree with you on the focus limiter--the one on the Tamron is much easier to operate, even if it is uglier. I felt the Sigma seemed slightly better built than the Tamron, less flimsy. Both are great lenses and will deliver the goods.

In the end I kept the Sigma and sold the Tamron because a) 105mm fit better into my prime lens line-up, and b) because I'd bought the Sigma cheaper and sold the Tamron at no loss.

Honestly, IQ is the same, and the decision to go for one or the other should be solely based on personal taste regarding FL, build and handling.

Hin Man said...

A late thank you to Mis. I ended up keeping the Sigma 105mm f/2.8 EX DG 1:1 Macro and sold my Tamron 90mm f/2.8 1:1 non-Di Macro. Both are quite capable macro and I would think both would do a great job for macro as well as portraits.

Post a Comment

 

About

Welcome to Hin's Photo Corner, this is my learning blog on photography, blogging and advertising. And I hope you enjoy your visit. For contact, please comment in blog post or email me directly hintheman at gmail.com.

 

B&H Best Deals

Statcounter